Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Since I wasn't able to get the contractor over yesterday to dig my garden deeper.  I'll be giving ya'll a garden tip with trees.

For the past 2 months I have been watching my peach tree, and my desert willow drop leaves, and not grow any leaves back.

I water deep.  By doing this I only have to water once a month.  When the temps get into the upper 90's I will be watering every 2 weeks.  I want the trees roots to grow deep.  Deep roots prevent trees from being blown over, or having surface roots, and helps the roots reach for a deeper water source.

I know I get 22" deep because 20 minutes after watering, I take a 5' plant stake and push into the wet soil.  When the stake stops I have hit dry soil.  I grab the stake at soil level, and pull it out.  I measure how many inches it went into the soil.  If it didn't get the depth I wanted, I know I need to extend my water time.

Last year in June I planted this desert willow.  Three weeks later it dropped all of it's leaves.  A month later it had started growing new leaves.  I waited another week before I decided to water it again, and it dropped it's leaves again.

The desert soil is clay.  Which means it will hold onto the water.  The conclusion I have come to is; the next time I plant a desert willow I will add washed sand in the compost / ground soil mix for better drainage.

What I did last year was open a hole about a foot away from the trunk to allow the water in the soil to dry out faster.  How did I open this hole you ask?  Well let me show you.


This is my garden hose attached to an eight foot plant stake.


There is a sweeper nozzle, and a hose shut-off attached to the hose.  Later I realized that the garden stake needed to be down further, so that I could tie the tip of the nozzle to the stake, to help keep the nozzle straight.

I then put the nozzle to the soil, and opened the water flow.


I let the water do all the work, and sink the hole 2 1/2' to 3'.


These holes I will leave open for at least a week, then put all purpose sand in them, or fill with lava rock.  I did this to the peach tree also.



1 comment: