Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Preparing the soil before tilling

Here in the desert we have a clay soil.  AKA caliche soil.  For the most part as long as you soak the soil the day before, and I mean for an hour.  Like any other clay once wet it is putty in your hands.  For those of you who have the true caliche soil which is usually about 2' below the top clay soil, you only need a garden depth of 14 to 16 inches.  As long as you are not over watering your veggies you should never have to deal with the issues that arise from not breaking through the caliche.  I set my water timer for 15 to 20 minutes.

So I tilled my soil today.  I borrowed a friends truck, and rented a tiller at 8:30 am started tilling around 9am, and finished at 10:45.  Yep that's it.  That's all I did today.  I wanted to get the poles in the ground today, and put the fence up to keep the dogs out, but living in the desert the heat won, so that is all I have for you.

Choosing tomato's 

I don't belive I informed you about the type of tomato to choose.  There are two types of tomatoes.  Determinate, and Indeterminate.  Determinate tomatoes will only produce for 3 weeks.  That's it.  Now unless you want to plant one every three weeks then go for it. For as many tomatoes that I want, I don't want to keep planting every three weeks.  Indeterminate tomatoes will keep producing till the freeze comes, and if you protect them from the frost they will keep producing.

Well this is a very short blog this week.  Join me next week for the finished garden.  

Woo!! Freakin" Hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment